Has Your Kid Asked You for Stickbots?
My ten year old son Jeremy practically begged me for Stikbots! At first I was like, “yah, yah, Stikbots” but when he was willing to trade his Rubik’s cube to a kid at school to get them, I knew it was serious 😉 Naturally anything my ten year old is willing to trade his favorite toy for had my attention.
I bought three different Stikbots for my boys because if I buy my 10 year old something, I have to buy his 4 year old brother one too, you know how it is. I bought three because I really thought that the boys would have broke one by now, but they are sturdy little stick people!
So What’s a Stikbot?
It’s a little stick figure man with suction cups on his arms and legs. Stikbots are for creating stop animation movies!
Stikbots can “stick” in many different positions, making them great for stop animation films.
Jeremy’s Stikbot Movie Debut!
Kids today have it so easy, I had to prop my Barbie dolls up to create my stop animation movies. Not to mention use the giant camcorder I had to keep still 😉
Related Article: Stikbot Animals for Stop Animation Movies
This is How He Made His First Stikbots Movie:
This is how Jeremy made his Stikbot movie, you can of course use whatever you want but at least you can get an idea, right?
- He found a well lit spot in the house. Natural lighting is best.
- He taped two pieces of green construction paper to the back sliding door. He probably could have used the wall, but we were looking for a spot with good lighting in the later part of the afternoon which wasn’t easy in our house.
- He also had a white board that we used for the flooring.
- He propped up the smartphone with the camera turned “on” with a partially-filled Gatorade bottle and some goldfish crackers. 😉 That’s how pros do it.
- He set up the Stikbots
- He took one photo per frame.
- He downloaded all the images into our movie maker software.
- He made each frame one second long.
- He added a voice over using our movie maker software.
- He exported the file to YouTube.
There is a Stikbot Studio app that you can download on your phone to create films as well! The app is free to use. There are also Stikbot scenes you can buy on Amazon.
Stikbots Stick in Different Positions
You can position them in different ways because they have these suction cups on their feet.
The Anatomy of Stikbot Figure
I created this image to help you see the different things Stikbot does! Stikbots have heads that turn all the way around. They have suction cups for hands and feet (4 total) and they bend at different points so they are able to do lots of different moves in stop animation videos.
The limbs of their body are connected by this rubber-band material. You can really see what I mean inside the translucent figures. You can see the anatomy of these Stikbots pretty good in the see-thru ones.
They hold together very similar to a rubberband with those metal pieces at the end. The coiling looks pretty tight on the bands too, I was wondering how well they would hold up around my boys, and they still haven’t lost any limbs 😉
Related Article: Epic Toys for Tween Boys 2017
Here is the Pink Stikbot Figure
This is the Pink Translucent Stikbot Figure
This is the Yellow Stikbot Figure
We’re Hooked on Stikbots!
We’ve got quite a few Stikbots now to create our stop animation movies with, we’ve also purchased a couple of Stikbot animals to feature in our films because animals always make funnier, well at least in our videos they do. 😂
You can find a ton of these guys on Amazon! We ordered a Stikbot Studio recently, so that should be cool hopefully! These are definitely one of our top tween boy gift ideas because there is endless creative potential with these and a smartphone!
- 1 This is How He Made His First Stikbots Movie:
- 2 You can see more Stikbots here